Health & Wellness in our martial arts community
In light of the growing public-health concern about coronavirus (COVID-19), we want to share what MTC has been doing to prioritize you and your family’s health and wellness. Specifically, what you can do to help prevent illness and stay healthy & what MTC has been doing to help keep us all safe. We’ve also included trusted sources for the most up-to-date information about coronavirus and its impact to date.
- The CDC: latest updates and what you need to know
- The Larimer County Health & Environmental agency: latest local updates and what you need to know
WHAT WE ALL CAN DO
Stay informed. It’s important to stay up to date with the latest information and process it in a balanced and thoughtful way. There is a tremendous amount of information being shared– while this can be overwhelming, try not to worry or panic in response to it. Both worry and panic create stress in the body, which compromises the immune system.
Boost your immune system. It’s always essential to prioritize your health & well-being. However, now more than ever, it’s important to bolster your immune system to better fight and recover from illness, in the event you encounter any virus or illness, including coronavirus. Here are some good habits to build and tips on immune system boosters and busters:
Practice good hygiene. These are the most important habits you can create to protect yourself and others from germs:
- Wash your hands frequently for at least 20 seconds, with soap and water.
- Cover your mouth and nose when coughing or sneezing.
- Keep your hands away from your face. Germs spread when a person touches a contaminated surface and then touches his or her eyes, nose, or mouth.
If you develop symptoms of a cold, flu or become ill, take care of yourself and minimize the spread to others by staying home. If you think you may have symptoms of coronavirus, call your healthcare provider immediately. We all have a responsibility to do our part to limit the spread of this virus and other illnesses, especially to those at a higher risk due to age, compromised immunity, or pre-existing conditions.
WHAT MTC IS DOING
At the academy, we are taking extra steps to keep our family and teammates safe which includes:
- Increasing our cleaning protocols with products that have been found to be effective against viruses, including the coronavirus.
- Enforcing our policy that teammates refrain from training if they’re not feeling well.
- Asking adults and children to wash their hands before and after training.
- Following the guidelines of the CDC & Larimer County Health & Environment agency and monitoring & informing our family of the evolving coronavirus situation.
Your health and happiness are paramount to us at MTC, and we are committed to monitoring the situation, communicating openly with you, and doing what we can to help mitigate the spread of illness in our community. If you have any questions or concerns about the steps we are taking or otherwise, please do not hesitate to contact us here.
Thank you for your commitment to our community’s health and wellbeing.
Professor Finnie and the MTC team