Brazilian Jiu Jitsu: Confidence
Have you ever wondered about the benefits of martial arts for your kids? While there is a variety of disciplines (Taekwondo, Karate, Kickboxing – to name a few), Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (BJJ) has a uniquely beneficial skill set. At McMahon Traning Center we believe in fostering a strong body, flexibility, and adaptability. However, character-building is equally important when kids hit the mat. BJJ is a practice that focuses on the body and minds working together, giving kids synchronicity that can elevate kid’s confidence. Here’s how:
- Self-defense skills: BJJ provides students with practical self-defense techniques. Learning self-defense is empowering and gives kids the skill of properly assessing situations and what course of action is appropriate. This builds confidence ad self-assurance as students learn to handle challenging situations.
- Problem-Solving and Critical Thinking: BJJ teaches and requires strategic thinking and problem-solving on the mat. Kids learn to analyze situations, anticipate their opponent’s moves, and develop appropriate responses. This aspect of BJJ builds confidence as students learn the benefit of orienting and adapting decisions both on and off the mat.
- Physical Fitness and Body Awareness: The physical training that BJJ offers, improves strength, endurance, flexibility, and coordination. Consistent training provides students with a foundation of physical fitness and greater control over their bodies. This increased body awareness builds confidence as they become more comfortable with their physical abilities. This makes Brazilian Jiu Jitsu an excellent choice for athletic kids for cross training in other sports.
- Goal Setting and Achievement: McMahon emphasizes discipline in BJJ and provides a structured environment for achievement. Students set goals for their progression allowing them to reach for higher belt levels or even compete in a tournament. The process of setting goals and progressing is significant in mental growth as kids see the outcome of the efforts.
- Resilience and Perseverance: Martial arts are known for being physically and mentally demanding- BJJ is no exception. There are challenges and setbacks in every practice. We teach our students resilience, humility, and perseverance as we guide them through the practice to overcome obstacles. The ability to face adversity and rise above it is a critical life skill firmly rooted in confidence.
- Positive Social Interaction: BJJ is a social and communal sport. While achievements are based on individual effort, students interact with coaches, partners, and other partners in a supportive and respectful environment. Through partner drills, sparring, and teamwork, students learn effective communication, trust among peers and coaches, and foster positive relationships. This sense of belonging and acceptance is a wonderful way to give kids a positive start in life.
McMahon believes that Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu can have a transformative impact on confidence. We encourage you to consider martial arts if you are looking to find a sport that fosters both the body and mind and if your child is coming into their confidence. We look forward to seeing you on the mats!